Train Crash – Painting on Film

With my mechanical sculpture show all set for this Saturday I’m back to working on experimental animation techniques. Over the past week I’ve been playing with a new idea involving found video footage and paint on film.

 

Train Crash Test from Gina Kamentsky on Vimeo.

For this experiment I decided to work with old footage of a train crash from 1913. Here’s the clip  on You Tube. The next step is bringing the video into Premier and outputting an image sequence at 24 frames per second. In the image below I’ve re-sized the frames and placed them in my template which fits a horizontal film strip.

In my last three films I worked vertically, following the true direction of the film. For most of my current experiments I’ve been using the film Horizontally. My interest in using film is more about the surface and artifacts left from the original emulsion, less about how the film is projected. Given that, I decided that I’d be ok working this way.

The image above shows an example of film placed over the template, I’ve left lots of emulsion on the surface by bleaching for only a few seconds. This removes the blue and green ink leaving bits of yellow from the original found footage. When I paint on the film the emulsion cracks the paint in an interesting way.

Here’s a frame from the sequence being shot on a light-box using Dragonframe.

I’m using a monochromatic pallette for this film so after bringing the image sequence from Dragon into After Effects I invert the colors and turn the saturation way down. The entire sequence has been placed over a background created by running sandpaper over several frames of film and looping.

Comments are closed.